Thursday, December 27, 2012
Time Was Ticking...
I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. I think I sat down yesterday for the first time in 5 days. The holidays are exhausting, especially if you are pregnant!
I somehow managed to throw together the ottoman "packages" before everyone came over to the house for soup and candy house making. I really should have left this project for next year instead of trying to cram it in last minute but...
Difficultly - Easy
Frustration Level - Low
Makeability - 100% worth it!
Warning! I just kind of threw these together not really caring if my seams were good or anything. They are going to sit under my table for decoration so I didn't take any great pains. If you are looking for a precise tutorial with perfect corners you came to the wrong place!
Measure the dimensions of what you want to cover and then add some extra for seam allowance. You want your slipcovers to be pretty snug but not too snug that you can't get them on. I ended up adding 1 inch to each of the sides using a 1/4 inch seam allowance with left about 3/4's of give which seemed to work out great.
This is the hardest part especially if you don't have square ottoman's. Lay out all of your pieces so that you know which sides connect to each other. I actually got messed up (I am going to blame pregnant brain) and ended up having to rip out a ton of seams the first time I tried to assemble one of them. I worked one side at a time pinning them together and then sewing with a 1/2 seam allowance. I did leave about 1/2 inch open on each end of the piece. This allows you to turn under the bottom edge to make it look nice. It also allows you to piece together the corners.
When you get to a corner just kind of bunch and pin all of the pieces together (as shown in the picture and sew all the way to the edge to finish up your corner.
When you get to your last piece you may have to make an adjustment to make your slip cover a bit tighter. I ended up sewing a 1 inch seam allowance for the final piece as 1/2 inch would have made the cover a bit sloppy. Again this is a really rough decorative/non-function cover so I improvised.
Note: I did not do this step but if you want a more finished look you can turn under all of your bottom edges and sew them. I just kind of tucked mine under the ottoman for this year...maybe next year I will finish the seams (but probably not).
Put your bows on. I crapped out an bought a bow for the top of my ottomans. My bow making abilities leave a lot to be desired. Done.